Have you got any questions?
This is where we answer your questions about the Warnow Tunnel:
General information about things like the advantages and personal data, details of the toll station and what lies behind RFID devices, the Oscard and TAG.
Benefits of the Warnow Tunnel
- The Warnow Tunnel is THE shortcut in Rostock – quick, safe, convenient, and cheap.
- Avoid red lights, traffic jams, and queues, and save up to half an hour of travel time.
- The Warnow Tunnel connects the regions to the east and west of the Warnow and provides a bypass around Rostock city centre.
- You can also save time and money if you want to travel from the A19 towards Warnemünde.
- From the international harbour where the ferries from the Baltic and Scandinavia arrive and depart, the tunnel takes you directly to the four-lane B105 – either towards to the coast (Warnemünde, Heiligendamm) or towards the west/southwest (Bad Doberan, A 20).
- You can also use the tunnel if you are travelling from the northwest towards Berlin.
- An overview of all route and time benefits is also available in routing.
Conversion to SEPA
How can I reduce the toll charges and pay without cash?
- The easiest way is the RFID device, the Oscard or the TAG.
- All options offer you reduced travel prices through the tunnel. (For further information, see the price list)
- The Oscard costs 2 Euro, the RFID device costs 5 Euro. TAGs are no longer issued since 1st October 2010, TAGs in circulation however can still be used.
- Please apply online or speak to our customer service centre. We will then set up your customer account which will be credited with a specific euro amount. The minimum credit amount is 10 journeys per category.
- The cashiers in the toll stations (“cash” lane) can also issue applications.
Alternatively, you can also charge your Oscard in the cash lane.
Multiple scan = multiple toll charge?
- This is not technically possible. The debit is only effected when the barrier has opened and the vehicle passes through. After the debit posting, the card is locked for 30 seconds to avoid double postings.
- This time lock also means that it is also not possible to hand over the card to a friend in a following car.
What does the TAG beep mean at the toll station?
- The beep is of no importance. It is simply a sign that our system has recognized the TAG. The TAG occasionally acknowledges journeys with a time delay.
Symbols in the Warnow Tunnel
OSCARD, RFID DEVICE AND TAG
What is a RFID device?
- The RFID is a passive electronic device that operates without a battery. It is fixed to the inside of the windscreen of your vehicle by our staff.
- Our RFID device uses UHF to create a connection with your customer account when the toll station is passed and the tariff is charged at the reduced amount. This process takes approx. 2 seconds. You do not need to stop in the toll station. You simply drive through slowly. When only 3 journeys are remaining, the account is automatically credited by direct debit.
- Apply online for the direct debit process. Online application.
What is a TAG?
- The TAG is a small electronic device. It is fixed to the inside of the windscreen of your vehicle by our staff.
- Our TAG is activated and deactivated automatically when the tunnel is used. Microwaves are used to create a connection with your customer account when the toll station is passed and the tariff due is charged at the reduced amount. This process takes approx. 2 seconds. You do not need to stop in the toll station. You simply drive through slowly. When only 3 journeys are remaining, the TAG account is automatically credited by direct debit.
- TAGs are no longer available as of 1st October 2010. TAGs in circulation however can still be used.
Which is cheaper – RFID or Oscard?
- Travel is simplest for RFID users as they can use all lanes. Additionally there is the TAG reserved lane. When travelling at a speed of 10 km/h without stopping, the barrier will open automatically. The discounted amount for the passage is deducted from the RFID account. It is not displayed. Only the amount remaining in the customer account or the discount rate is displayed.
- Oscard users simply stop in front of the scanner, the discounted rate is deducted from the card and the barrier opens. The remaining amount is displayed on the Oscard.
- You can charge your Oscard in the cash lane or in the customer centre directly next to the toll station. The new bank direct debit process offers even more advantages.
- Apply online for the direct debit process. Online application.
How do I get the Oscard / the RFID device?
- The Oscard costs €2. You can receive a charged Oscard for your vehicle class from the cashier or in our customer centre where you can also charge them again if necessary (the amount must always correspond to at least 10 journeys for the corresponding category).
- You can pay with cash, by EC card, or by credit card. At least one cashier lane is open for you 24 hours around the clock.
Or use the new direct debit process to charge the Oscard. (Application as for RFID)
- The RFID device costs €5. If you want to use the RFID device, simply complete our application form (online, available in the customer centre or the cash lane).
- The application form includes a direct debit authorization. You can cancel the direct debit at any time. Practical: With the RFID device you do not need to worry about regular charging (like the Oscard). More detailed information is available on the application form.
RFID possible for each vehicle?
- In principle, any vehicle can use the RFID device. With some models, the thermal protection glass or heated windscreen may restrict the function of the RFID device. If applicable, please see the operating instructions for your vehicle or ask in our customer centre. We have a manufacturer list with function restrictions and we are happy to advise you.
- The RFID device is preprogrammed in our system to the vehicle category specified by you in the application. If you have specified, for example, that you are using the RFID device for a car, the RFID device is set with vehicle class 1.
- You can easily check your account balance in the internet. Enter your password at Customer log-in.
- We are also happy to give you information in our customer centre.
- Cash payment/Oscard
Have you entered the correct coins?
Was the Oscard placed close enough to the scanner?
Press the “Help” button on the machine. Our employees will assist you.
Please do not reverse from the lane!
This would cause errors in the system and lead to problems with the following vehicles.
- RFID device
If you feel that the RFID device/TAG is not functioning to your satisfaction, you can simply visit our customer centre at the toll station next time you are passing through. If you are travelling from the east (A 19, Überseehafen(international harbour)), please take the last exit before the tunnel and then continue towards Zollamt (customs office)/Gehlsdorf. On the right you can see our company premises, Zum Südtor 8. If you come from the west (e.g. from Schmarl, Lütten Klein, Warnemünde), you will find parking immediately in front of the toll station behind the tunnel.
Please always combine this with a journey or call the customer centre first.
- The simple Oscard is anonymous and does not contain any personal data. If lost, it cannot be replaced.
- The Oscard, which is charged via a direct debit, is assigned to a customer account, in other words directly to persons or companies. In this case, please contact the customer centre.
- If your RFID device or TAG is stolen, please contact us to block the device and protect it from misuse. This means that no-one can use the tunnel at your cost.
- If your TAG is lost, a nominal fee of € 25 must be paid.